Marco Rubio made his rounds today to tell his thoughts on immigration reform. We have a problem. There are millions of illegals in this country and we can’t just deport them. So what do we do? I say what Rubio says. Illegal immigrants will register for a program that they will get a status that lets them start the process of becoming a citizen.
There are a few reasons I like this plan.
- Puts in a trigger mechanism not a goal. In 5 years there needs to be a 90 percent rate apprehension, 100 percent surveillance on the boarder. If this doesn’t happen, the power is given to local officials with the funding to let them figure it out.
- They will have to pay past fines and proper registration fees.
- The get no federal benefits.
- They wait longer than the 10 years other forgien citizens wait while staying here.
- E-Verify is addressed. As 40% of illegals overstay their visa this must be fixed.
- There is a fence component.
- They can still be denied citizenship
- They still have to pay taxes
With having a trigger and not a goal with hard schedules for goals you then make sure that this isn’t just de-facto amnesty. We have a problem, if we are unreasonable we will lose the argument and lose the hearts of millions of liberty loving, freedom enjoying future citizens.